today’s shark is pretty much a no-brainer, because the week is running out. today’s shark is the great hammerhead shark!!! how can you not love these sharks? they’re so damn odd looking, and they’re really the stand out of the species, you know? the bonehead and scalloped versions are cool, too, but the great hammerhead really is the best. at least, i’m most interested in them. in some places you can see whole schools of other hammerhead sharks swimming around together, but the great hammerhead sharks are the only ones known to go off on a solitary lifestyle.
also known as, sphyrna mokarran, vital stats are:
- the great hammerhead is the largest of all hammerhead sharks
- up to 11.5′ long, but there have been 20′ sharks recorded
- great hammerheads will kill stingrays by using their hammer-shaped head to pin them down while they bite the wings off the ray
- they are known to be cannibalistic but the reasons remain unclear.
- great hammerhead meat is sold for human consumption (fresh, fresh-frozen, dried-salted, and smoked), its liver oil for vitamins, fins for soup, hides for leather, and carcasses for fishmeal. (EW!)
honorary mention for thursday: tiger shark! RAWR!
NOTE: shark of the day will be extended through monday, because the week started late.